Tuesday, August 26, 2008

List O' Shame

Awkwardness is a part of life, and I have had my share of uncomfortable situations. I would like to painfully reflect on some of the levels of awkwardness.

-A failed high five. The weird miss/half slap that makes both parties feel lame.

-An elevator ride with someone from work you barely know. Trapped in a box of tension.

-The "not sure what your level of comfort is" embrace. Not as bad when you embrace the same way, but very uncomfortable when one goes in for a handshake while the other tries for a hug.

-The "I used to know you but never very well" ignore. When you recognize someone but don't want to talk to them. It takes a lot of concentration to pretend like you never noticed them, but you both know.

-The "I used to know you but never very well" embrace. It goes very well for the first minute, but quickly turns horrific when you realize there is no easy way to leave the conversation. "Well, I'll see you again someday maybe..."

-Accidentally responding to something not directed at you. "Oh you were waving to the person behind me. Excuse me while I crawl into a ball in the corner."

I would like to say that all failures make us stronger, but thinking back to every embarrassing situation is like a kick in the stomach. Much better to just block them out of my memory. Excuse me while I go make a fool out of myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROTFL! Ouch. :) Trying to look cool is quite a challenge, which is why I surrendered myself to my shameful, lame nerdiness a long time ago. (When you already you know you are hopeless, it doesn't hurt as much.)

Anonymous said...

It's o.k. to feel a bit shy so long as we don't let it stop us from accomplishing or facing new situations. At least that's how I try and see it.

JQ said...

NTG-

As you yourself noted a couple of threads back, you're at your best when you're sharing your thoughts in hilarious tidbits like these. You've got a knack for capturing the subtleties that we all have in common and making them humorous, and that's why I keep you on my RSS feed.

KEEP IT UP!