Friday, July 11, 2008

Department of Defense

I've wanted so much to hate Wal-Mart. It must be the small rebel side in me that desires to be anti-establishment. In the end though, I walk into another grocery store, see Easy Mac for $1.50, and scream, "you can go to hell with those prices!". It's 33¢ for generic Easy Mac at Wal-Mart.

You have to cut down trees to make cardboard, print labels onto the box, create noodles, create cheese-like powder, package everything, ship it in a giant Wal-Mart barge, and still have a profit margin when selling it for 33¢. That's not just good business. There's a wizard involved in the process somewhere.

I've seen documentaries on how evil Wal-Mart is. Low wages in China? If it's not forced labor, then obviously the workers are making more than other available jobs. Bad on the environment? How about the fact that the lumber I need is in the same place as new tennis shoes, ice cream sandwiches, and pool toys. No need to waste gas traveling between stores. That is, if I don't eat at the McDonald's by the front entrance first and use a motorized cart to get around.

The world has fought countless wars over resources. If I can feed myself for a month with $20 and Wal-Mart does not have to invade a country, I consider it a victory for everyone.

No comments: