Monday, June 23, 2008

Different Strokes

Humans have a wide range of determination levels. The lowest is the 45-year-old man eating Bagel Bites on his mom's couch while watching the Powerpuff Girls. The highest is the man who can throw a dime into a shot glass from 50 yards away.

I don't know what possesses people to pursue obscure talents. Is it some existential appifany where the person quits trying to strike it rich and famous and thinks, "oh what does it matter, I'll just become extremely good at bouncing a raquetball on my head"? Without a clear outline of their goals, I can't imagine a person looking back on the past 20 years of their life and being proud.

This is not to say I'm not extremely impressed by perfection in any form, I just learn more towards Bagel Bites than thousands of hours pursing a neat trick. If I were to throw 11 strikes in a row in bowling, I know I would slip and smash my face into the hard wood as I watched my 12 throw roll into the gutter 2 lanes over. That is if I didn't have a stroke while waiting for my ball to return. It is just not worth the pain.

So to everyone learning to throw playing cards or fire a crossbow, I commend you. I will be watching Cartoon Network if you need me.

No comments: